Monday, August 17, 2015

Medical Exams, Parties, and Translation Funnies

As part of the application for the U.S, visa, every adopted child must undergo a medical examination in Guangzhou. I remember this part of the trip from Ellie's adoption; the medical clinic is loud, crowded, a bit scary and impersonal. For this reason. I had Michelle stay behind at the hotel with Ellie while I took Annie for the exam. I asked our translator to explain carefully everything that was going to happen (including a blood draw, which they won't let parents in the room for----grrr!), and I asked Annie if she was nervous about anything. Nope--she took it all in stride, charmed the doctors, and then fell asleep in the van on the way home. :-)

During the morning, we had a good long time to chat, and while we had the translator, I wanted to talk to Annie about what to expect when she gets home. We talked about our extended family, school (she told me that there had been 48 children in her class in China!), and many other things. I mentioned that we might have a little party in the next few weeks to celebrate both Ellie's birthday and Annie's homecoming. I asked her if she would like that.  Her response: "Mom, I don't really know what a party is."   Even though I know intellectually that it totally makes sense that she wouldn't know, my heart broke a little to think that a nine-year-old wouldn't ever have experienced a party. Well, we will certainly fix that, my dear! :-)

And once we explained what a party was, Annie was quick to be sure I knew that her birthday is January 31st! Oh yes, I think my girl will know and love parties before too long!

A little funny story as an aside: Most signs in China are in both Chinese and English, but often the English translations are either a little "off" or there are typos (a typical problem for translations in any language.)  I stopped in to a shop tonight that some adoption friends had recommended as having good Chinese/English bibles. I wanted Annie to have one that she can keep as she grows up. Even though she will learn English prayers, etc., I want her to always be able to talk to God in her birth language if she wants to. So anyway, I stopped in to this lovely little shop and asked to buy a Bible. The shop owner was very nice, and seemed very excited that I wanted to buy a Bible, so she gave me a free souvenir--a bracelet that says, "In Jesus' Name I Play."  :-)

 Sisters who BOTH love Ramen noodles!! :-)

Asleep after a long morning!

1 comment: